Just like most people I have jumped on the January bandwagon of hoping to drop that extra stone I gained over the festive period from eating daily baked camemberts and drowning my liver in wine. Haven’t you?
Again for the 10th year in a row, I vow to lose weight by doing one of these diets we see advertised on social media; 2016 it was weight watchers, last year it was Jane Plan this year it is Slimming World.
If you aren’t part of what instagram calls “the slimming world mafia” then basically the concept is unlimited free foods including most fruits, veg, meats, fish, eggs, pasta, grains and low to no fat yoghurts. Some of these free foods are called speed foods as they are supposedly meant to speed up your metabolism and fill you up for longer! Then all the ‘bad stuff’ has a points or “syns” system. At this point I am still on week 1 and still feelings sceptical about getting to eat unlimited pasta…
However I created a recipe which what a ‘slimming worldian’ would call “syn free” as it contains lots of speed foods, free foods and no syns! This is an excellent winter warmer, comforting, tasty, one pot dish! However for those who dont give a rats arse about syns one very generous serving is about 340 calories!
You’ll need to:
- Pre heat the oven to 200c fan and chop one sweet potato (1) into chunks and season with Italian herbs, pepper and fry lite / 1 cal olive oil spray, bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile spray a large pan with fry lite, add 2 chopped shallots, 2 slices of bacon (with visible fat cut off), 2 cloves of crushed garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Chop up your veg; aubergine (1), mushrooms (10), peppers (1), cherry tomatoes (8) and pop these in the pan to fry, adding more fry lite if necessary (whatever you have in the fridge). Fry until somewhat browned.
- Boil approx 1 pint of water in the kettle, add this to the pan with a vegetable stock cube, add pasta of choice, I used about 3 handfuls of farfalle (now this depends on handsize). Add 400g of chopped tomatoes + 1 can of water. Let this simmer for 12 minutes.
- Don’t forget about the sweet potato, add this once the pasta is cooked and the liquid has mostly evaporated. Finally add a small bag of spinach leaves, these should wilt fairly quickly then stir and serve or store!
Ingredients: any vegetables, spinach sweet potato, fry lite, bacon, shallots, garlic, pasta, stock cube, chopped tomatoes, seasoning. **the brackets means quantity!**
There you have it a super sweet but savoury slimming wintery Italian / Mediterranean stew full of super nutritious and speedy foods! Enjoy! 🙂